Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Update on my recovery

Hello everybody. Some have seen me and others haven't, so I thought I'd give you an update on how I'm doing. Overall, I'm doing pretty well. The first week, I saw a big difference how I felt each day. For a few days I couldn't put my socks on, my shirt on without help. So when I could do that, it was a big deal! Now the improvement is a bit harder to measure because I've come a long ways from the surgery. I go to a cardiac rehab physical therapy 3 times a week and they push me to go faster, longer each session. I'm up to this: Treadmill for 15 minutes, 3 mph, 3.5% grade, the NuStep machine for 13 minutes, and then climbing up and down a 6 inch stair for 5 minutes. I can do that just fine, but feel tired afterwards. I'm not so short of breath as I was the first week too. They don't allow me to use my arms for 8 weeks with any kind of exercise while the chest would heals.

The prognosis is for a full recovery and normal activity when everything is done healing. So I should be able to hike, play basketball/tennis, and all that other stuff.

The days are pretty monotonous. I work on puzzles, the computer, watch TV, read a bit, and talk to people. Each day is much like another. But I'm getting closer to returning to work (on Feb. 9) as the time passes.

2 comments:

Washington Smiths said...

Great to hear that you are doing so well Gordon. Maybe we need some cardiac rehab - because you are probably getting more exercise than we are right now. We can't wait to come and visit in April when you are back to full speed.

Ann said...

We are so glad you are doing well. Keep it up!